It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:55 am

Speed-Freekz Project Firebird Continued..... 
Never Been Beat
Never Been Beat

Post Speed-Freekz Project Firebird Continued.....
I should call it project lemon, or project lawn ornament, or probably most fitting project fire-hazard! :P

After taking posession of said vehicle driving down the road ..... rumble rumble, grind, grind, clank, grind, bang, clank, clank. Sounds good so far right? That little problem turned out to be a lot of very unhappy transmission internals. Mostly planetary gears crying for help:

Attachments:
lemon pic #2.JPG
lemon pic #2.JPG [ 118.33 KiB | Viewed 9551 times ]
lemon pic #3.JPG
lemon pic #3.JPG [ 134.62 KiB | Viewed 9551 times ]
File comment: they look a little used
lemon pic #4.JPG
lemon pic #4.JPG [ 157.01 KiB | Viewed 9551 times ]
Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:27 pm
Profile YIM
Never Been Beat
Never Been Beat

so with a big thanks to cottman transmission (and my credit card) the 700r4 is upgraded with the following components:

13 clutch pack (replaces stock 5 clutches)
hardened input shaft
29 element sprag
.500 boost valve
kevlar bands
corvette servo
trans-go reprogrammable shift kit
all new high performance planetarys and other misc hard parts.

I bought a new street avenger 670 and dropped it on. I still can't get the damn float on the secondaries to the right level, but i'm working on it. The car runs a bit on the rich side so i'm thinking i'll order jets one size smaller than factory and give that a shot. Took some work to get the tranny shift cable set up right but now she hangs in the gears and shifts really hard. Much tuning is needed on the motor though. I'm lacking in the mid-top end probably because the float for the secondaries is giving me a hard time.

thats it for now, i'll update with some pics when i get the wiring done and the interior pulled out. so far so good though. :D

feel free to poke fun at khyrons wiring job when i get the pics up :D

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:36 pm
Profile YIM
Administrator
Administrator

Did you buy Khyron's black 'Bird?

That's my old car!!

-Trevor

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:53 pm
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Just in case nobody has told you yet, make sure you get the TV cable adjusted properly. If it's not done right, that trans won't last long...unfortunately I learned that one the hard way. :oops:

Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:40 pm
Front Runner
Front Runner

well im glad i didnt get aproved for the loan i was gonna get to buy that lol...that woulda sucked major ass if it was me...
metal_on_metal wrote:
Whoa!

Did you buy Khyron's black 'Bird?

That's my old car!!

-Trevor

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hey Hillary....ya cunt!
Hey Hillary....ya cunt!

Yes metal. that said trannie and black bird is the one and only. all I can say is...

while i'm upset the trannie gave out on you.... BOY CAN I BUILD A MOTOR :D

I'm assuming that even though the car is running a bit rich. The popping is gone correct?

ohh, and fire hazzard gets you a :twofinger: heheheheh

Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:46 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hey Hillary....ya cunt!
Hey Hillary....ya cunt!

[quote="grimwolf3176"]well im glad i didnt get aproved for the loan i was gonna get to buy that lol...that woulda sucked major ass if it was me...

I told you that the car needed to go to someone who can tinker ;)

Kamikaze. while I can understand that she went off to a ruff start, your going to have one hell of a car with that trannie in her :thumbsup: When do you expect to get the first time slip?

Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Never Been Beat
Never Been Beat

well im glad i didnt get aproved for the loan i was gonna get to buy that lol...that woulda sucked major ass if it was me...

A car like this (or really anything with a carb) is what you call a tinker toy. You can expect to have to sink money into it (though I was hoping to wait until this winter to do so :P ). Nature of the beast. I've had several of them and put trannies in most. You do it for fun.

I have the trans cable set up correctly. I had to move the linkages around a bit, but I've got it set up right. It shifts really hard. I like it.

I'm sure the lack of power is all carb related. Unfortunately I have to deliver some pc's tomorrow, and pick up my new avalanche from depaula at 2, so I'm not going to have as much time to work on the bird on my day off as I had hoped, but I'll get it done. I'll probably pick up that other set of tires from you this weekend if you're around khyron. Couldn't pick them up in my nice new z71 tahoe, so I had to go buy a truck just to get them. this guy's costing me all kinds of money :P

By next weekend the car should be well oiled, all the wiring bugs gone, and the carb tuned, so hopefully the following wednesday i'll get her down to the track.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:38 pm
Profile YIM
Hey Hillary....ya cunt!
Hey Hillary....ya cunt!

I'll be around on the weekend. feel free to common up, we'll have a beer and hang out for a bit :D

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Never Been Beat
Never Been Beat

cool. hey don't forget to make this a sticky :P

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:46 pm
Profile YIM
I HAVE A NEON!

I'll be around on the weekend. feel free to common up, we'll have a beer and hang out for a bit :D

if i could find yer house, id come drool over the charger :P

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Rookie
Rookie

Just in case nobody has told you yet, make sure you get the TV cable adjusted properly. If it's not done right, that trans won't last long...unfortunately I learned that one the hard way. :oops:

I had the same problem. Couldn't get that TV cable happy and kept blowing out 3rd gear and up. Only first and second worked. It was rebuilt twice in less than 2 months then sat with a 4 sale sign on it. I swapped in a built 350 in place of the stock 305. Focus on that TV cable or else you'll be out a tranny.

Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:15 pm
Front Runner
Front Runner

anyone know how to acomidate the tune for a 4.6 useing a diablo sport tuner...acomidate for a85mm mafinlet? useing the stock sensor?
seeing how yall are gear heads nd no one looks in the ford department

Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:29 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Never Been Beat
Never Been Beat

CHARGER_FAN wrote:

I had the same problem. Couldn't get that TV cable happy and kept blowing out 3rd gear and up. Only first and second worked. It was rebuilt twice in less than 2 months then sat with a 4 sale sign on it. I swapped in a built 350 in place of the stock 305. Focus on that TV cable or else you'll be out a tranny.

not to worry, my tv cable is happy. i doubt my rear tranny mount is enjoying it though :P

Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:51 pm
Profile YIM
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

anyone know how to acomidate the tune for a 4.6 useing a diablo sport tuner...acomidate for a85mm mafinlet? useing the stock sensor?
seeing how yall are gear heads nd no one looks in the ford department

I don't, sorry. :(

Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:57 pm