It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:53 am

Adventured in after market radiator installs. 
Hey Hillary....ya cunt!
Hey Hillary....ya cunt!

Post Adventured in after market radiator installs.
Whelp. I promised an Update on the Summit Direct Fit radiator, SO here goes. I’ll add some pictures when I get done to show what I’m explaining.

First I removed the original radiator, Fan, and battery tray. To ensure I had enough room to work, and boy did I.

I held up the radiator against the brace. The bottom existing holes were able to work, however. I had to drill new holes for the upper. After mounting the radiator. I had to relocate, Cut, and get some trannie lines. The original mount to the bottom as you know. However, the cross flow radiator has the trannie lines on the driver’s side. So I bent some new line down, and connected to some existing line with some trannie hose. Seems to be working fine. I may invest in a second trannie cooler to make sure.

The only problem that was a pain in the arse was the battery tray. The tray wouldn’t bolt down correct. It was coming in contact with the radiator. I reversed the Top bar that bolts to the fender wall. Basically mounted it to the inside of the tray and not the outside bent it in a slight bit and reversed the bolt. It then mounted up fine.

The bottom radiator hose needed to be reversed for some reason :confused: the water pump side to the radiator and the old radiator side on the water pump. It works. So I’m not going to complain.

The only problem I have left is the top hose. Because this is a small block and the hose used to go to the upper drivers side, it now goes to the upper passenger side. I’ll have to go hunting for a hose that works.

Basically. In a nut shell. It wasn’t too bad. Including removing the fan, taping it off and painting, the whole process took about 2 ½ hours. Not too shabby.

Only thing I don’t like… Big bright aluminum radiator in there now. And you can see it through the grill very nicely 

Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:30 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hey Hillary....ya cunt!
Hey Hillary....ya cunt!

ohh BTW: the car was having the heating issues in part because the original radiator WAS bad, there were quite a few tubes in the core that where cut and soddered :?

Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:31 am
Profile YIM WWW
Administrator
Administrator

Tell folks it's an intercooler for your turbo. :lol:

No OEM-type replacement available? I had to put a replacement in my 'Cuda. Got it from a radiator shop in Schenectady. It was on that job that I learned not to go berzerk with silicone spray when installing new hoses...basically the original lower hose was stuck to the water pump but good. I needed to chip it away(!) so when the new one went on I gave it a spray of silicone to facilitate any future removals.

It went on like a champ but the first time I floored it the hose flew off and dumped fluid all over the road. I'm not sure if it was down to the engine rocking in its mount or a sudden change in cooling system pressure. :!: :wtf:

-Trevor

Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:58 am
Hey Hillary....ya cunt!
Hey Hillary....ya cunt!

Hey metal, do you still have that band saw?

Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:22 am
Profile YIM WWW
Left hand of the devil
Left hand of the devil

so when the new one went on I gave it a spray of silicone to facilitate any future removals.

It went on like a champ but the first time I floored it the hose flew off and dumped fluid all over the road. I'm not sure if it was down to the engine rocking in its mount or a sudden change in cooling system pressure. :!: :wtf:

-Trevor

:haha: That's what you get for thinking too far ahead sometimes. :lol:

The problem with America is stupidity. I''m not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don''t we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:24 am
Profile WWW
Administrator
Administrator

True enough Dutch.

I still have the saw Khy. What's up?

-Trevor

Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:00 am
Hey Hillary....ya cunt!
Hey Hillary....ya cunt!

I want to cut some aluminum sheets. the top and bottem of the new radiator have a small gap. plus it just doesn't look right. Would you mind if I come down some night to do a little fabricating?

Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:38 am
Profile YIM WWW
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah we can give that a try. This weekend is already booked so it'll have to be next week sometime. So far Wednesday is bust but the other evenings aren't.

We can figure out a time and date between now and then.

-Trevor

Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:49 am
Hey Hillary....ya cunt!
Hey Hillary....ya cunt!

sounds good, I need to make some cardboard test pieces to see how I like the look first so I think that'll be fine :thumbsup:

Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

metal_on_metal wrote:
so when the new one went on I gave it a spray of silicone to facilitate any future removals.

-Trevor

:haha: That's what you get for thinking too far ahead sometimes. :lol:

:haha: That's funny!

That's good that you've got a new radiator now, Khyron. Overheating issues suck.

Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:10 pm