It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:40 am

tick tock goes the big block 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post tick tock goes the big block
okay guys and gals need some info.......have some lifters making noise in my truck its a 454 ci . was told i should run 20 w 50 oil in her. what do you guys think ? I'm sure some of you know your engines thats why im asking. Also do any of you do engine work ? incase i need new lifters in her?? i would do it but i have no place except my driveway......brrr!!! :mrgreen: any thoughts or info?? please drop em here!!! :grin:

Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:09 pm
Never Been Beat
Never Been Beat

depends on how fresh the motor is and what you want to do with it. a little lifter noise isn't really a big deal. if the motor is fairly fresh and/or you have an expensive cam in it i'd replace the lifters .. but if you put a cam in it you should already have new lifters ... yeah, at most i'd douche the oil with one of those cleaners that takes the sludge out (which is probably causing your sticky lifter anyway) and then change your oil. i wouldn't go with that heavy of an oil ... especially this time of year. a good 10/40 synthetic would do your truck well though.

Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:07 pm
Profile YIM
Left hand of the devil
Left hand of the devil

Hell. Just dump it. I'll take it off your hands for cheap. I'm sure I can find a use for that 454... :twisted:

The problem with America is stupidity. I''m not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don''t we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
I touch myself
I touch myself

Location: Ballston Lake, NY...formerly Crashville, TN, now back in Nashville again...
Oh hell...lifters aren't that hard to get to on a 454. I'll show you how. :D :twisted:

Oh, and the colder the weather, the thinner you go on oil weight.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
He is on a roll this year!!
Quote:
(Grimwolf3176)
fuck it im gonna buy a horse. ill ride that to the unemployment office LMAO :lol:

Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:31 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

yeah im running 5w30 right now. I know lifters arent a hard job.....but dont wanna do it in the cold.

I'll try running the "douche " through her. :-D

Oh yeah and Dutch....... I love my truck.....sorry you cant have her!! :lol:

Shes not fresh , no new cam . yet. but she still goes like a raped ape !! :D

Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:37 pm
I touch myself
I touch myself

Location: Ballston Lake, NY...formerly Crashville, TN, now back in Nashville again...
I hope he doesn't think he's putting a 454 in my Mazda! :shock:

I know someone that put a 350 small block in a Chevy Luv pickup once...they had to pour concrete in the bed to get the rear end to stay down. :)

QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
Quote:
(Grimwolf3176)
fuck it im gonna buy a horse. ill ride that to the unemployment office LMAO :lol:

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:13 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:21 am
Left hand of the devil
Left hand of the devil

Friggin rednecks. No clue how to set up suspension...

There was a Navy guy I knew a few years ago. He had a 91 S10 with an extremely stout 400 stuffed in it. Mini tubs, cage, spooled rear and a 4 link. No traction problems there. Damn thing launched hard enough to hurt if you weren't expecting it.

The problem with America is stupidity. I''m not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don''t we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
I touch myself
I touch myself

Honey, it was my EX...now you know the REST of the story... :lol:

You KNOW if it was something HE did it was gonna be messed up... :?

QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
Quote:
(Grimwolf3176)

Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:26 pm
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Friggin rednecks. No clue how to set up suspension...

:lol: I hear you there......kinda like the guys I know around here that hack the shit out of there cars and trucks with torches , to drop them down. hello ? is anybody home ??? if you want it dropped buy the right parts....then at least it might still handle decent!!! :nuts:

Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:34 pm
Rookie
Rookie

yeah im running 5w30 right now. I know lifters arent a hard job.....but dont wanna do it in the cold.

I'll try running the "douche " through her. :-D

Rislone makes an engine (not oil) treatment that works real well.

It replaces a quart of oil, just leave it in until the next oil change.

Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:39 am
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

okay , heres the update....after driving the truck for way too long with the " lifter noise " i couldnt wait any longer she was starting to stumble on herself and backfire into the intake !!

now I know it was horriblly wrong of me to run her like that. and believe me .....uggh :cry:

I took the top of the motor apart on sunday and found at least two broken pushrods....one broken lifter.....one stuck lifter ....and a ton of light brown soupy sludge.

also there was a bunch of oil and carbon builup in the airways of the intake ?? !!

so work has begun fixing the poor 454 !! shame on me , now i'm paying for it. :x

thats what I've been doing.....along with getting the babies nursery ready....cuz she's due anyday now. :)

Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:45 pm