It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:26 am

WOO! 
Lug Nut
Lug Nut

Post WOO!
well unholy, i suppose its time i get to work on those braids huh?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Ne ... eId=108825

not sure about all of it...but...otherwise...

*jizzle*

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:28 pm
Profile WWW
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

You know.... I saw a quick glimpse of that the other night on a news story covering the auto show and said... "WHOOAAAAAA..... What the hell is that!" They didn't say what it was, but as a Camero fan, I am very happy to hear it!

Problem 1 though..... By 2009, people won't probably give a damn. I see drastic changes in cars and our economy by that time.

LRRS Expert #75

Sponsored by:
FOX POWERSPORTS
Herkimer, NY
315-866-1200

www.foxpowersports.com
www.pirelli-moto.com
www.lockhartphillipsusa.com
www.streetandcomp.com

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:32 pm
Administrator
Administrator

I hope it works out for GM. They definitely need a hit to get things rolling again.

The 8 to 4 cyl concept (didn't Cadillacs do that in the 80's?) might go a long way for folks who want better mileage but just cannot stomach a hybrid car.

IMHO it'll hinge on price. If GM continues to offer its enthusiast/youth-oriented cars at 30K+ prices they'll continue to sell poorly.

Dear GM: The SSR is an expensive retro-toy for rich fukkas with good credit and/or disposable income. You don't need to crowd that niche with the new Camaro. I was a diehard domestic guy (and former Trans Am owner) until you priced the fun cars outside of what I am willing to spend for a good time.

On a related note, the "turnaround" cars that come to (my) mind weren't pony cars: Ford had the Taurus and there wouldn't be a Viper today if it wasn't for all of those lowly K-cars sold in the 80's. Again....if they price the new Camaro low enough to make it appear "practical" then GM might be able to turn it around a little bit.

-Trevor

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:47 pm
Never Been Beat
Never Been Beat

I like it, but at first glance it has the same look as the challenger.(to me anyway)
I also agree with Metal..they need to be priced at a level that people can purchase them..
I think that is what made them appealing back in the day..

Seems know they try to gouge the boomers,

http://www.Defaziobrothersracing.com

http://www.Speedbike.com

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:29 pm
Profile YIM
Lug Nut
Lug Nut

actually thats EXACTLY what was appealing to them.
back in the day, you could upgrade your lemans to a GTO for under 600 bucks i think it was.

your average middle class baby boomer makes what? 40-80 thousand dollars a year?

with cost of a decent home for a family starting at 250 thousand (atleast thats what they are around here these days). food bills, gas bills....

a muscle car that costs HALF or MORE your income for a year is just completely out of the question...

thats what made these cars so great. i have heard so many stories of these lower middle class people...when growing up, their father never made much. but he owned that 70-SS396, that 66 GTO...and they could afford it, and feel like a million bucks driving it.

BASE model chargers start at about $23000. with over 30 thousand for the "hemi" engines.

but you can get a GT mustang for $26000.

and when pitting the two together in a "bullit remake" from Motortrend, guess who came out on top?

hardly anyone seems to be getting it right these days...

i'd love to see the american cars come down in prices, and then having the customization that is so popular with that new company Scion. they have a GENIUS marketing idea....

Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
Blasphemy!
Blasphemy!

Post Re: WOO!
FuryWarrior wrote:
well unholy, i suppose its time i get to work on those braids huh?

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Ne ... eId=108825

not sure about all of it...but...otherwise...

*jizzle*

hahahahaha - yeah i saw that !
you'ld be hot looking like Pippy Longstocking !

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:24 am
Profile WWW
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

actually thats EXACTLY what was appealing to them.
back in the day, you could upgrade your lemans to a GTO for under 600 bucks i think it was.....

You have to be careful though.... that $600 was a lot more back then. Back then, $6000/year was a pretty good middle class wage. So that would mean that one option on that car would be 10% of your salary for the year.

That would be the equivalent of a $4K - $5K option on a car these days based on your $40-$50K/Yr salary. Yikes!

Now that I think about it though... Mustang GT to Mustang Cobra is about what.... $15K?

LRRS Expert #75

Sponsored by:
FOX POWERSPORTS
Herkimer, NY
315-866-1200

www.foxpowersports.com
www.pirelli-moto.com
www.lockhartphillipsusa.com
www.streetandcomp.com

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:38 am
Administrator
Administrator

I read a little blurb about the new Camaro on MSN that put the price at "about 25K". That price didn't get into detail about options, etc.

25K is an iffy number IMHO. 25K for a base model with a small V6 and ~200HP isn't gonna start a revolution.

25K for a car with a V8 (not necessarily the 400HP model) that makes >250 HP stock might be a different story. It's hard to say whether or not the motor would be so tightly managed by the ECM that it would be very expensive and/or nearly impossible to soup up.

If the car has good aftermarket potential and a low initial price point then it should be a success for folks like us.

If the car is simply a retro-styled coupe with no real option to upgrade (at least in terms of aftermarket support) then it might be another VW New Beetle.

I think the reason sport compacts ("rice cars" if you will) are doing so well is because they are following in the footsteps of the original musclecars. The little cars are cheap to buy and cheap to soup up. They generally don't have the power output potential of a large V8 but they are also the only affordable option for a lot of young motorheads.

And this role-reversal has some pretty important implications.

A boomer (the average boomer is age 60 this year) might be able to finanace that Z06 or SSR this year and his next purchase will likely be a big sedan or SUV but that's it; he'll be riding in a big black Cadillac to the graveyard not long afterward.

A 20something guy might be able to finance a Civic Si or SRT-4 (and afford to soup it up) on his income but then he'll go on to buy whole string of vehicles....from minivans to whatever....over the course of the next 40 years. If he gets hooked on a brand early then he'll be more inclined to buy from that manufacturer again.

GM represents 1% of the US GDP. They need to stay in business for the good of all of us....and I hope they can remember their roots and replay the musclecar formula. It worked in the past (and is working for the rice cars right now)!!

-Trevor

Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:04 am
Lug Nut
Lug Nut

You have to be careful though.... that $600 was a lot more back then. Back then, $6000/year was a pretty good middle class wage. So that would mean that one option on that car would be 10% of your salary for the year.

That would be the equivalent of a $4K - $5K option on a car these days based on your $40-$50K/Yr salary. Yikes!

Now that I think about it though... Mustang GT to Mustang Cobra is about what.... $15K?

yep. 10%.

if you make 40-50...upgrading to the muscle car is about 8 thousand now. thats more than 10%.

it was still a cheaper option to do back then, even considering the prices of everything back then, and the average paycheck of the time. than it is to do today.

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:41 pm
Profile WWW