It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:35 am

The on_metal guide to short-term financial success 
Administrator
Administrator

Post The on_metal guide to short-term financial success
It's all about getting the best of both worlds.

(1) Buy a hybrid.

(2) Buy stock in petro companies.

Regarding (2), have a look at this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11098458/

:mad:

-Trevor

Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:04 pm
Never Been Beat
Never Been Beat

I reality they dont really get much more than a conventional vechicle and the cost out way the benifit.

http://www.Defaziobrothersracing.com

http://www.Speedbike.com

Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:01 pm
Profile YIM
Blasphemy!
Blasphemy!

Those Hybrids are a gimmick..
I reality they dont really get much more than a conventional vechicle and the cost out way the benifit.

my buddy has a Prius and gets 50 mpg

Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
Administrator
Administrator

".....IRVING, Texas - Exxon Mobil Corp. posted record profits for any U.S. company on Monday — $10.71 billion for the fourth quarter and $36.13 billion for the year — as the world’s biggest publicly traded oil company benefited from high oil and gas prices and demand for refined products. The results exceeded Wall Street expectations."

There's always mooshine if you don't like hybrids. :cool:

-Trevor

Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:46 pm
Blasphemy!
Blasphemy!

Round up these Oil Execs and the fags - have them dig huge holes and we mass shoot them or we dial up the Germans, have them fire up the ovens again.

Aushewitz ..the meaning of pain ...the way that i want you to die ....

Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
The Traveling Gnome
The Traveling Gnome

my buddy has a Prius and gets 50 mpg

And how much is it gonna cost him to replace the fuel cell in a couple of years?
Cheers, Lee S.

99 Triumph Daytona
88 GSXR 50-Pitbike
"Short, one-armed and pissed!..... It's a Lifestyle"

Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:23 am
Administrator
Administrator

Ah but (for now) the trick is to unload the hybrid before you encur that cost. And then use your payout from the oil company stocks to buy a new car for cash. :wink:

But seriously..

..I have a feeling that two things are going to happen in the near-future:

(1) Hybrid Mfrs will make a killing off of "recharged" hybrids...by buying them back (IOW good trade-in incentives) and then refurbishing the cells (much cheaper at their cost and buying power).

(2) You're finally going to see fleet MPG numbers well into the 30s.

-Trevor

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:04 am
Blasphemy!
Blasphemy!

And how much is it gonna cost him to replace the fuel cell in a couple of years?
Cheers, Lee S.

the fuel cell is warrantied for 10 years

Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:08 am
Profile WWW
Never Been Beat
Never Been Beat

Ah but (for now) the trick is to unload the hybrid before you encur that cost. And then use your payout from the oil company stocks to buy a new car for cash. :wink:

But seriously..

..I have a feeling that two things are going to happen in the near-future:

(1) Hybrid Mfrs will make a killing off of "recharged" hybrids...by buying them back (IOW good trade-in incentives) and then refurbishing the cells (much cheaper at their cost and buying power).

(2) You're finally going to see fleet MPG numbers well into the 30s.

-Trevor

I think you are correct. I think (I know here we go) the gov has a role in this gouging to get people to accept alternitive fuel..

Your friend may get that much. I was basing my comments on serveral article I have read the say in the real world the Hybrids usuall only get a few more MPGs than the conventials. and the EPA estimates are BS.

Also a few people have added some of there own cells and made there hybrids "Rechargable" and those machines were getting very high milage in the city. They ran almost exclusively on the electric.

They say the SUV hybrids are even worse but alot of people are buy them because they actually have BETTER performance because the electric part adds power ..

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:21 am
Profile YIM
Rookie
Rookie

It's definitely the around town mileage that helps...when my family brought their Honda in to get fixed, the dealer gave them a hybrid. My old man said they had the car around town for three days, and it barely used a gallon of gas. Plus, I believe there's a $2000 tax credit for buying a hybrid. Pataki has also proposed a dicount on NYS tolls for hybrid users. For me this would be a good deal..

Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:36 pm
Administrator
Administrator

Yanno I only got to see a little bit of the State of the Union Address last night.

But while watching what little I did see, I heard the bit about how it's imperative to reduce our reliance on foreign petroleum, etc.

And in thinking about it in context of the whole war on terror thing I go to feeling there were some strange parallels to WWII in that relationship.

I figure a number of things helped us come out on the good side of WWII. First of all we got into it comparatively late (never hurts to be the last man into a brawl-for-all), plus we had a fantastic manufacturing capacity, plus we had a generation of folks who were willing to put up with varying levels of sacrifice to get through the situation.

(we also had some good allies)

So here we are in this new cold war, or maybe this new WWII. Although this new war needs tanks and airplanes and missles and such I don't think it needs them in quite the volume as did 60-odd years ago...at least not yet.

So there is not quite the same opportunity for GM and Ford to reenergize their factory lines to produce these war machines.

Ah but nowadays there is the issue of breaking our reliance on foregn oil. And nowadays the US auto manufacturers could use a situation that made them very relevant again. :?

So maybe the US can respond to this challenge by using its design and manufacturing abilities to produce shitloads of hybrid or other alternative-fuel vehicles. I imagine it must be easier to convert an auto assembly line to support the construction of a hybrid car than it is to build a tank.

I think they would build 'em if the demand was there.

So that brings us to the issue of sacrifice. Suppose this new war doesn' t require buckets of blood. Suppose we could gain the upper hand just by mass use of alternative-fuel vehicles?

Would you do it? Would you trade in your car for a hybrid if it meant we could bail out the US automakers AND away from reliance on foreign oil and its associated influences?

-Trevor

Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:00 pm
Never Been Beat
Never Been Beat

When i seen the headlines from bushes speech I knew I was on to something.

that is why the price of fuel is so high. it the plan to get people to accept alternitive fuel.

We have has alternitives for years IMO but big oil companies keep stopping progress.

we could make fuel from Corn and help out the farmers in this contry that have been going bankrupt for years feeding use.

there is oil shale and a whole host of other renewables that the oil companies dont want
to become viable..

this is all IMO

Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:49 pm
Profile YIM
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Would you do it? Would you trade in your car for a hybrid if it meant we could bail out the US automakers AND away from reliance on foreign oil and its associated influences?

Yes I would...in 10 seconds! Provided that hybrid was made in America. If it's a foreign made hybrid, then hell no...I'll hold out with my conventional car until the last possible moment.

Vyper, you may very well be correct in saying that these high prices are there just to make us more eager to accept alternate fuels.

BTW, with your earlier link Trevor, did you notice that Exxon has been having profits waaay ahead of the other companies for every year in that graph? :-o

Fuckin' rediculous. :anger:

Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:26 pm
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Oh & there's no way in hell I'm getting rid of my classic cars in the name of high fuel costs either...I'd rather leave them in the back yard as lawn ornaments. :-D

Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:31 pm
Lug Nut
Lug Nut

the funny thing is...when you buy a hybrid car. you actually allow for a gas guzzling excursion or hummer to be built.

there are certain quotas on car manufacturers....they CAN NOT build gas guzzling SUVs, until they have sold a couple thousand hybrid or "double fueled cars". i think its the ford focus? not sure, some ford...but it can also run on a form of alcohol.

however, most states *DO NOT* have these stations where you could fill your car with these alternate fuel sources. there for, when ford sells this car for their "world friendly" quota...they then get to build an excursion.

but, you cant use the alternative fuel...because it is not being supplied. there for you will have to buy gas...and you never end up saving the world at all, and only allow more gas guzzlers to be produced.

dontcha love loop holes?

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:28 pm
Profile WWW